Dig The Dirt
Join Today, It's Free!
Dig The Dirt
Join Today, It's Free!
Dig The Dirt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Down home folks who have a passion to grow their own food!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Help us become a successful garden community ~ SHARE our Forum Address ~ Invite Your Garden Friends~ THANK YOU!

Canning meat

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Katydid

Katydid

Canning meat Empty
PostSubject: Canning meat   Canning meat EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 1:57 pm

I know a lot of people are a bit leery about canning meat, but I've been doing it for years and there's nothing to it. Beef, pork, lamb and venison are all done the same.

I prefer the raw pack method only because it saves time, but I can't say anything about the hot pack as I've never done it.

I think the hardest part of canning beef was not adding any liquids. We're all so used to filling the jars to within half to one inch that it was really different to not add water. Raw pack also shrinks down a bit more than I imagine the hot pack to, but I've got jars that are basically only half full and they've been on my shelf for 2 months now and I opened 2 last night for a stew and they were great.

I still have yet to can chicken....hopefully someone else has and will share their recipes and experiences.

I buy the absolute cheapest cuts of beef from Costco, trim off as much of the fat as I can cut into cubes and then put into the jars.....add a little salt and process for 75 minutes for pints and 90 minutes for quarts at 11 pounds pressure.

Canning meat Clay105-5_zps08fefa30
Back to top Go down
Onetiggerroo
Admin
Onetiggerroo

Canning meat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canning meat   Canning meat EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 2:20 pm

WOW! Great tip on canning meats. I never knew you could can meat raw.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lordismyshepherd.forumsmotion.com
Garden Novice
Admin
Garden Novice

Canning meat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canning meat   Canning meat EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 12:14 am

I have yet to venture into canning. I am still getting this gardening down. I hope maybe in the next year or two, I will start. I like to get a good handle on things before I move to the next.

Our next thing though is either chickens or bee's. I really want to get a hive or two of bee's. We have a small orange orchard, my parents live next door and my mother planted orange seeds and those tree's sprang to life and produce a good crop of sour oranges. The flowers are extremely fragrant and would make some tasty honey....

Back to top Go down
http://www.awtj.org
Katydid

Katydid

Canning meat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canning meat   Canning meat EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 3:24 am

You sure can and it saves a pot from being used...... Laughing Laughing

If you like to have your jars nice and full I would recommend cooking first, but it doesn't bother me if the jars are only 3/4 full. The juice that ends up being in the jar sometimes doesn't cover everything, but that doesn't matter either and I haven't had meat that went off colour....like can sometimes happen with fruit if it's not covered in syrup. The fat rises to the top and it's easy to pick out. I save mine in a container in the freezer, and then when I have enough I thaw it out and use it to make dog cookies. I save all my fats. The dogs think they've gone to heaven with I'm baking them...they sit around and drool...... lol!

I would love to have bees.....unfortunately we live where there are too many bears. Most hives I've seen around are on flat farm land and bears like woodlands and that's exactly where we live....right in the bush. That's another thing that I've found is far too high priced.....I've seen honey at a roadside stand for around $8.00 for a small jar that probably holds maybe a bit more than a cup. I wait till it goes on sale at Costco and buy it in bulk.
Back to top Go down
Garden Novice
Admin
Garden Novice

Canning meat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canning meat   Canning meat EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 12:34 pm

If we put in a hive before the Spring flowers come in, I will do a video of it. I am so close to getting one. I have already decided on a Top Bar Hive, it's is easier on the back.

I love honey. We have a store it's called Teavana. It sells a particular honey I just eat a couple teaspoons a day of . Its a creamy honey and man, it's addicting.

Back to top Go down
Onetiggerroo
Admin
Onetiggerroo

Canning meat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canning meat   Canning meat EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 12:01 pm

Our neighbor raised bees, when I was a child. Nothing like raw fresh honey, and chewing on a honey comb sure brings back memories! Fairly easy to raise, and little maintenance.You know we raised chickens, but sold them this past year, because the feed got too expensive. But we sure do miss the ladies, laying those fresh eggs. They went to a friend of ours, and now live on a farm. No more city hens! lol They love it out in the country and are laying so much she can't keep up. If you decide to do hens, then invest in a movable hen house, or enclosed yard for them, that is movable. You won't need to mow grass that way. If you leave them, located int he same spot, they will clear all the grass, and weeds in less than a week! Otherwise, pretty easy to take care of. Feed, water, and occasionally give some antibiotics, if they start looking sick. Keep the pen clean, and have some nesting boxes. We spent money on hay, laying mash, Shell material (for calcium & digestion) antibiotics, feeders, and of course the hens. Don't buy hens unless you know the dealer is reputable, or you may end up with roosters! Remember hubby bought a bunch that he argued with me about being hens. Well, 8 months later, those hens were all crowing! lol! If you get your hens while they are young. you can train them to be handled. Just be careful of sitting hens, that want to be broody and peck you.
Back to top Go down
Garden Novice
Admin
Garden Novice

Canning meat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canning meat   Canning meat EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 1:21 pm

Thanks for all the great advice. I watch a lot of youtube video's before I venture into something I have no clue about. It's also why this forum was a great idea too, so people can share their knowledge...
Back to top Go down
Katydid

Katydid

Canning meat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canning meat   Canning meat EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 9:54 pm

I would love to do chickens and maybe a goat for milk, but when it came time to put them in the pot neither me or hubby could do it. I have this thing that if I feed something twice it's a pet..... lol!

We did have a Khaki Campbell duck when the kids were small. She was great. Gave us an egg a day for 8-9 months out of the year and she was almost 6 when I went downstairs to feed her one morning and she was gone. We had a pond in the backyard for her in the summer and in the winter she spent most of the day upstairs....if she had to poop she would go on a towel I had in the corner of the mud room......who knew you could potty train a duck eh??? She had a swim around the tub every day too in the winter. I had so many pics of her....she loved to be cuddled, but we had a house fire in 2003. Didn't lose the most important things though which were our kids and the dogs. Now that everything is digital I save everything to photobucket. If you or someone you know still has old pics with negatives please tell them to put them in a safe deposit box as you never know.
Back to top Go down
Onetiggerroo
Admin
Onetiggerroo

Canning meat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canning meat   Canning meat EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 9:59 pm

Loved reading about your duck. I'm going to remember the tip about the negatives. I try to put everything digital as far as pictures these days.

Going to try my hand at raw meat processing, when we get settled in the new house. May just try a small batch at first to make sure I'm doing it correctly. Do you have any pictures of your meat canning, that you could share with us?
Back to top Go down
Katydid

Katydid

Canning meat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canning meat   Canning meat EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 5:35 pm

I'll have to do some again soon and when I do I'll remember to take some pics.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Canning meat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canning meat   Canning meat Empty

Back to top Go down

Canning meat
Page 1 of 1