Dig The Dirt
Join Today, It's Free!
Dig The Dirt
Join Today, It's Free!
Dig The Dirt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Down home folks who have a passion to grow their own food!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Help us become a successful garden community ~ SHARE our Forum Address ~ Invite Your Garden Friends~ THANK YOU!

Canning dried beans

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Katydid

Katydid

Canning dried beans Empty
PostSubject: Canning dried beans   Canning dried beans EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 5:42 pm

I canned some dried beans a year ago and like most of us I googled and found some advice as I'd never done that before.

One tip was to put the dried beans directly into your sterilized jars and add water in the evening and in the morning you would be ready to process them. Thought it was a great idea. Well, they didn't say exactly HOW many beans so I guesstimated it at a little less than half full. Boy was I wrong. I was laying in bed reading when around 11 pm I heard a PING....went into the kitchen and three of the jars had cracked from the pressure of the beans. I only had a towel over the top so they could expand upwards as well, but I lost 3 jars and spent about 45 minutes digging the beans out of the jars into a sink full of water. They were packed in there sooooooooo tight it wasn't funny.
I now soak them over night in the sink. I had a small amount of 5 different beans this time, so I put them in freezer bags with water overnight. Worked like a charm.

Back to top Go down
Garden Novice
Admin
Garden Novice

Canning dried beans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canning dried beans   Canning dried beans EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Look up Webcajun on youtube. He has a really great video canning beans....
Back to top Go down
http://www.awtj.org

Canning dried beans
Page 1 of 1