Dig The Dirt
Join Today, It's Free!
Dig The Dirt
Join Today, It's Free!
Dig The Dirt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Down home folks who have a passion to grow their own food!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Help us become a successful garden community ~ SHARE our Forum Address ~ Invite Your Garden Friends~ THANK YOU!

Greenhouse 2012

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Katydid

Katydid

Greenhouse 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Greenhouse 2012   Greenhouse 2012 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 6:30 pm

[img]Greenhouse 2012 Birdsandgarden022[/img]

Greenhouse 2012 Maggieandthegarden011

squashes

Greenhouse 2012 001-8

hubbard squash

Greenhouse 2012 Birdsandgarden020
Early in the spring....a mix of peppers, tomatoes, lavender, and strawberries.
Back to top Go down
Katydid

Katydid

Greenhouse 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse 2012   Greenhouse 2012 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Greenhouse 2012 023

Later in the season

Greenhouse 2012 025

Greenhouse 2012 024

Back to top Go down
Garden Novice
Admin
Garden Novice

Greenhouse 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse 2012   Greenhouse 2012 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 6:40 pm

Do you keep your plants in those 5 gallon pots until they finish producing their crop? That is a good idea to have them lined up like that. I have to find creative ways to garden because of a back injury....
Back to top Go down
http://www.awtj.org
Katydid

Katydid

Greenhouse 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse 2012   Greenhouse 2012 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:27 am

We did, but we were really disappointed in the results. I think the temps were too extreme and we're thinking of putting in a temp controlled window opener thingie. We had nice Hubbards...only about 7. Not quite enough for all the room that they took, and believe it or not I had not ONE tomato. No No No Soooooooo irked as they are my fav fruit and I was wanting to can tons. Had lots of peppers though which is weird as they're both warm weather crops.

That's why we have the raised beds.....so much easier on the back.
Back to top Go down
Onetiggerroo
Admin
Onetiggerroo

Greenhouse 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse 2012   Greenhouse 2012 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 8:31 pm

Really nice looking Greenhouse and plants. flower We had a bad batch of Tomato seed in 2011. One thing I found out the hard way, was if you buy your seed, they aren't always the year stamped on the packet! affraid Makes me mad too. Now I try only buying from reputable companies, and I am not talking Burpees! Burpees, were the seed I bought that made beautiful plants but no maters... Sad We are thinking of doing a greenhouse once we get settled again. And definitely raised beds. I like to have some that I don't have to bend down too far. Hubby likes they ones right off the ground. Trying to get him to build ones on legs for me. I have MS and it is hard bending over especially with vertigo attacks not to mention wobbly legs. Plus, I can't do sunshine and hot days like I used to do. It has really put a damper on my gardening since being diagnosed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lordismyshepherd.forumsmotion.com
Katydid

Katydid

Greenhouse 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse 2012   Greenhouse 2012 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 9:44 pm

That's so sad when you have something you like to do and you can't any more, but maybe beds with legs would work. Worth a shot.

Where we live it doesn't get above 90 most summers so that's not too bad and it's usually around the 80-85 range. I used to love hot weather and now I'm spending more time on the back deck in the afternoon which is in the shade and watching the kids sunbathe, but then again I never did do that.....never liked the feel of it....feels like I have ants crawling on my skin.
Back to top Go down
Onetiggerroo
Admin
Onetiggerroo

Greenhouse 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse 2012   Greenhouse 2012 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 9:50 pm

I'd love weather that is below 90 degrees! Here it is hot because of the humidity levels. I think I could do the shade at 80 degrees for a little while. But temps closer to 70 are ideal for me. Either too hot or too cold really messes with me. I think the raised beds on legs will be one way I can continue doing something I love. At least with them raised, I can sit if I need to, and be comfortable.

I never really cared for sun bathing either, but I always managed to have a great summer tan. lol Probably because I was outside doing things most of the day. Especially in my younger days.
Back to top Go down
Garden Novice
Admin
Garden Novice

Greenhouse 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse 2012   Greenhouse 2012 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 12:32 pm

Raised beds with a chair is they only way I can garden. My hubby has to do the ground gardens for me. I also used 5 gallon grow bags last summer. This year I may do more 5 gallon containers. Haven't decided yet.
We used to do a lot of swimming, but I was never a sun bather either.
Back to top Go down
Katydid

Katydid

Greenhouse 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse 2012   Greenhouse 2012 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 9:05 pm

I lived by a river so we were always in the water and I remember having some killer sunburns. I mean the kind where you get the shakes and you throw up.....probably a touch of heat stroke in there too......lol

We're thinking about doing potatoes this year and want to put them into grow bags and have them scattered around the garden with a chicken wire circle around them. Don't want to sacrifice a bed or two for spuds so we were thinking that this might work. Maybe 10 or 15 should be about right if I can get around 10lbs from each bag.

Years ago I had potatoes that grew themselves in my compost. They were BEAUTIFUL....smooth skinned and round and not a knobbly bit on any of them. I tried the next year putting whole spuds in there and they never took. Must have been just the right conditions for those potato peels. I stopped complaining to hubby about peeling spud skin so thick after that and I'm still waiting for it to happen again.... bounce
Back to top Go down
Onetiggerroo
Admin
Onetiggerroo

Greenhouse 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse 2012   Greenhouse 2012 EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 4:34 pm

Katydid, we grew potatoes in old tires, and as the vine grew, we would throw on another tire, and more soil, until it was about 4-5 feet tall. All we had to do, was know don the tires, when the vines started dying back, and had a bunch of potatoes! easy to do a stakable bed like this. You probably could do one with chicken wire, and just keep adding soil and straw to the layers.
Back to top Go down
Garden Novice
Admin
Garden Novice

Greenhouse 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse 2012   Greenhouse 2012 EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 8:30 pm

I watched a youtube where a lady used burlap bags to grow her potatoes. I have a huge burlap type bag I may use this year if I decided to grow them again. We have too many grubs in the ground here to grow root veggies.
I may end up using that giant bag to grow sweet potatoes....
Back to top Go down
Katydid

Katydid

Greenhouse 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse 2012   Greenhouse 2012 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 5:29 pm

That's a GREAT idea, thanks....I think hubby can bring some home from work as they use them to soak up oil and stuff.

Do you have a wood stove??? If you spread your wood ashes over the garden and dig it in it will take care of your grubs and cut worms. The first year we lived in our new house....going back 37 years, we planted toms and cabbage etc and they were all eaten by the cut worms. That fall we got a wood stove installed and over the winter when we cleaned it out hubby would spread it over the garden and in the spring it was dug in. Being young we planted the same crops again, don't remember if we didn't remember or if we just forgot, but not one of our transplants were touched.... bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Greenhouse 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse 2012   Greenhouse 2012 Empty

Back to top Go down

Greenhouse 2012
Page 1 of 1