Dig The Dirt
Join Today, It's Free!
Dig The Dirt
Join Today, It's Free!
Dig The Dirt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Down home folks who have a passion to grow their own food!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Help us become a successful garden community ~ SHARE our Forum Address ~ Invite Your Garden Friends~ THANK YOU!

Shaker Medicinal Herbs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Onetiggerroo
Admin
Onetiggerroo

Shaker Medicinal Herbs Empty
PostSubject: Shaker Medicinal Herbs   Shaker Medicinal Herbs EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 9:04 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.lordismyshepherd.forumsmotion.com
Katydid

Katydid

PostSubject: Re: Shaker Medicinal Herbs   Shaker Medicinal Herbs EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 1:27 pm

I've always tried to do things the natural way......love herbal teas and I hope my mint comes back after the deer got it last year. I think it's going back into a pot on the deck.

I'm allergic to ASA so I can't do natural pain remedies that contain willow bark....I'm stuck taking Tylenol, but I used to make Fennel tea and put it into a baby bottle as a remedy for gas when my kids were babies. I also make chamomile tea when I can't sleep at night.

I think what might deter people from using herbs is yes they're a bit of work to grow and then you have to mess about with a teapot and have containers for the dried product, but also the fact that they don't work immediately......sometimes it takes a while for them to work like with the Feverfew for migraines. It's much easier just to take a pill.
Back to top Go down
Onetiggerroo
Admin
Onetiggerroo

PostSubject: Re: Shaker Medicinal Herbs   Shaker Medicinal Herbs EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 5:00 pm

I think you hit upon the reason most people don't take the time needed to get to know what the value is in growing and harvesting your own medicines. We've gotten too comfortable with what the pharmaceutical companies sell, and it isn't always for our benefit! I'm still learning, what my grandmother, tried to teach me as a child. Fortunate for me, my hubby recognizes some of the wild roots, like golden seal, and knows how to harvest and store it.

I can understand allergies too. I am allergic to so many things these days, and the list is growing. It is another reason, I am ready to listen and learn, about medicinal herbs and how to store, them and use them.
Back to top Go down
Katydid

Katydid

PostSubject: Re: Shaker Medicinal Herbs   Shaker Medicinal Herbs EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 5:23 pm

I've been very luck in that the only thing I'm allergic to is MSG and that's easily avoided. I would much rather do the natural thing when it comes to illness too. Considering I'm a lady of a 'certain' age I'm taking an herbal supplement which really helps with those pesky menopause symptoms. Don't have many hot flashes but it's the weepyness that I can't stand. As long as I take one at least every other day I'm ok....I can watch movies and not bawl my eyes out.... lol!
The prescription meds for menopause have sooooooooooo many side effects it's scary, but then the side effects for almost any medication is.
Back to top Go down
Garden Novice
Admin
Garden Novice

PostSubject: Re: Shaker Medicinal Herbs   Shaker Medicinal Herbs EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 7:06 pm

I planted some sweet basil and mint yesterday. I love herbs and different types of tea....
Back to top Go down
http://www.awtj.org
Garden Novice
Admin
Garden Novice

PostSubject: Homemade Herbal Cough Drops   Shaker Medicinal Herbs EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 10:14 pm

Wellness Mama (CLICK HERE)

Homemade Herbal Cough Drops

Ingredients:

1 cup of water infused with herbs. I used slippery elm, coltsfoot or thyme, cinnamon, elderberry and chamomile
... 1.5 cups of raw, organic honey
A candy thermometer (not necessary but very helpful!)
a medium size sauce pan
Silicon candy molds (not needed but helpful)

Instructions:
Boil 2 cups of water and infuse with desired herbs. I used about ¼ cup of each herb for a really potent cough drop, but as little as 1 tablespoon of each herb is effective.

To infuse:
Pour boiling water over herbs. I put herbs in a muslin bag to make straining easier. Let steep for 20 minutes and strain out herbs (or remove bag).

Pour 1 cup of the herb infused water and 1.5 cups of honey into a medium saucepan and turn on medium high heat. (save the extra liquid and mix with equal parts raw honey for a simple cough syrup)

Stir the honey/herb mixture over medium high heat until it reaches 300 degrees. If you don’t have a candy thermometer, this usually takes about 30 minutes and can be tested by dropping a drop of the mixture in to ice water to see if it immediately hardens. It should harden to the point that it breaks if dropped on the counter. You can also tell because the mixture will start to foam and separate. At this point, it is vital to remove it from the heat quickly so it does not burn.

Pour into candy molds, or pour into a large baking sheet that has been greased with coconut oil or that has a silicon baking mat on it.

Let cool until it can be touched and molded and immediately and quickly form into lozenges with your hands (you might need help to do this quickly enough).

Put finished cough drops/lozenges on a silicon mat or piece of parchment paper to cool.

When completely cool, toss in a mixture of powdered slippery elm and stevia to keep from getting sticky in humidity.

Use as needed for coughing, congestion or sore throat.
Back to top Go down
Onetiggerroo
Admin
Onetiggerroo

PostSubject: Re: Shaker Medicinal Herbs   Shaker Medicinal Herbs EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 4:27 pm

Great recipe! I've got one for horhound cough drops, that I won on Listia. Haven't made it yet, but hope to by next flu season.

Glad to see you planted the sweet basil and mint. Mint will take off if you don't watch it closely. We plantedours next to the house, because it keeps ants away!

There is nothing like the smell of fresh herbs.
Back to top Go down
Garden Novice
Admin
Garden Novice

PostSubject: Re: Shaker Medicinal Herbs   Shaker Medicinal Herbs EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 5:23 pm

I planted them both in a container. If it is a runner I better take the basil out and let the Mint have the whole container. I will plant the basil elsewhere.

Are you going to take some of the herbs with you?
Back to top Go down
Katydid

Katydid

PostSubject: Re: Shaker Medicinal Herbs   Shaker Medicinal Herbs EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 2:53 pm

Checked my mint the other day and it's starting grow. Going to dig up and put back on the deck. Planted it in front of my pond and it looked really nice there mixed in with some Lamb's Ears and Marigolds....
Back to top Go down
Onetiggerroo
Admin
Onetiggerroo

PostSubject: Re: Shaker Medicinal Herbs   Shaker Medicinal Herbs EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 6:27 pm

We left all that was planted at the old house. Sad But I am building up a stash of seeds for our next home. Very Happy

Katydid, I planted Lamb's Ear with mint and they both did very well together!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shaker Medicinal Herbs   Shaker Medicinal Herbs Empty

Back to top Go down

Shaker Medicinal Herbs
Page 1 of 1