Dig The Dirt
Join Today, It's Free!

Down home folks who have a passion to grow their own food!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Help us become a successful garden community ~ SHARE our Forum Address ~ Invite Your Garden Friends~ THANK YOU!

Sweet Basil (aka St. Johns Wort)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Onetiggerroo
Admin
Onetiggerroo

Sweet Basil (aka St. Johns Wort) Empty
PostSubject: Sweet Basil (aka St. Johns Wort)   Sweet Basil (aka St. Johns Wort) EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 2:31 pm

We often include Sweet Basil, in our herb garden. Some of the reasons we include this herb, is for the aromatic smell, it helps keep mosquito's at bay, and is a wonderful herb in my homemade Spaghetti Sauce! I can harvest it fresh throughout the growing season, and I can either freeze or dry it with ease. I prefer it fresh, or frozen, but I usually dry towards the end of the season. I make sure to pick off any unhealthy leaves, and to wash in salt water, and let it soak for a few minutes. The soak, kills any insects that may have been in the plant at the time of harvest. I drain the water, and wash individual stems, before tying the bunches. I use cotton sewing thread, and wrap a length somewhat tightly around the stem end. Then I take it outside, and shake off any missed insects and excess water, before hanging in my home. I choose a place that has little light, for drying. Making sure my bunches are loose and air can pass through the leaves, and also I bunch in 6 to 8 stems, depending upon the thickness of the bunch. Large bunches, do not dry as well. This gives my home a nice herbal aroma during the drying time, which is 2 to 3 weeks.

Sweet Basil, is also called St John's Wort, in some English speaking countries, and is know as a mood enhancer among many other benefits. It contains antioxidant, antiviral, and antimicrobial properties. Sweet Basil is a good source of Vitamins A and K, minerals like potassium, manganese, copper, magnesium and iron.

It is known as a holy herb, among many nations. For more on this herb, please see: http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/basil-herb.html

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses.

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

He speaks, and the sound of His voice,
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing.

I’d stay in the garden with Him
Though the night around me be falling,
But He bids me go; through the voice of woe
His voice to me is calling.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lordismyshepherd.forumsmotion.com
Garden Novice
Admin
Garden Novice

PostSubject: Re: Sweet Basil (aka St. Johns Wort)   Sweet Basil (aka St. Johns Wort) EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 3:03 pm

Onetiggerroo wrote:
We often include Sweet Basil, in our herb garden. Some of the reasons we include this herb, is for the aromatic smell, it helps keep mosquito's at bay, and is a wonderful herb in my homemade Spaghetti Sauce! I can harvest it fresh throughout the growing season, and I can either freeze or dry it with ease. I prefer it fresh, or frozen, but I usually dry towards the end of the season. I make sure to pick off any unhealthy leaves, and to wash in salt water, and let it soak for a few minutes. The soak, kills any insects that may have been in the plant at the time of harvest. I drain the water, and wash individual stems, before tying the bunches. I use cotton sewing thread, and wrap a length somewhat tightly around the stem end. Then I take it outside, and shake off any missed insects and excess water, before hanging in my home. I choose a place that has little light, for drying. Making sure my bunches are loose and air can pass through the leaves, and also I bunch in 6 to 8 stems, depending upon the thickness of the bunch. Large bunches, do not dry as well. This gives my home a nice herbal aroma during the drying time, which is 2 to 3 weeks.

Sweet Basil, is also called St John's Wort, in some English speaking countries, and is know as a mood enhancer among many other benefits. It contains antioxidant, antiviral, and antimicrobial properties. Sweet Basil is a good source of Vitamins A and K, minerals like potassium, manganese, copper, magnesium and iron.

It is known as a holy herb, among many nations. For more on this herb, please see: http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/basil-herb.html
I may just use sweet basil in planters on my front deck to keep the mosquito's at bay. I never knew it warded off mosquito's, so thanks for the tip..

Back to top Go down
http://www.awtj.org
Katydid

Katydid

PostSubject: Re: Sweet Basil (aka St. Johns Wort)   Sweet Basil (aka St. Johns Wort) EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 6:07 pm

Thanks for the mosquito tip. Going to have to grow some on the front deck....wonder if it'll keep away those pesky noseeums..... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Onetiggerroo
Admin
Onetiggerroo

PostSubject: Re: Sweet Basil (aka St. Johns Wort)   Sweet Basil (aka St. Johns Wort) EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks! Hope it helps with the deer problems. I don't know if they like Basil or not...

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses.

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

He speaks, and the sound of His voice,
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing.

I’d stay in the garden with Him
Though the night around me be falling,
But He bids me go; through the voice of woe
His voice to me is calling.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lordismyshepherd.forumsmotion.com
Katydid

Katydid

PostSubject: Re: Sweet Basil (aka St. Johns Wort)   Sweet Basil (aka St. Johns Wort) EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:36 am

Nothing and I mean nothing helps the deer. I've taken ooodles of books out of the library and the only thing that works is a tall fence....9 feet or more. They're really smart and they learn that sparkly shiny things aren't going to chase them....that the sprinkler that turns on is activated by that owl, that bar of soap smells strong, but nibbling the plants are worth the effort, and the Bobex spray that we have up here in Canada isn't recommended for use on food plants.

I have a true love/hate relationship with my deer...I love watching them but I hate the fact that I can't grow anything outside of a fence.

Sweet Basil (aka St. Johns Wort) 000_Gardening_zpsfab59dc0
Back to top Go down
laurelleaf

PostSubject: I hear   Sweet Basil (aka St. Johns Wort) EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 3:51 am

My paster told me, he being a organic farmer, useing growing garlic around where he doesnt want dear to work helps. He says it works.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sweet Basil (aka St. Johns Wort)   Sweet Basil (aka St. Johns Wort) Empty

Back to top Go down

Sweet Basil (aka St. Johns Wort)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dig The Dirt :: Garden Discussion :: General Garden Discussions-
Jump to: