Dig The Dirt
Join Today, It's Free!
Dig The Dirt
Join Today, It's Free!
Dig The Dirt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Down home folks who have a passion to grow their own food!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Help us become a successful garden community ~ SHARE our Forum Address ~ Invite Your Garden Friends~ THANK YOU!

Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sisdrac41

sisdrac41

Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden Empty
PostSubject: Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden   Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 12:05 pm

Last year I planted 32 Tomato plants that I had started from seed, came back the next day and they were all eaten to the ground. I didn't know what had eaten them but wanted a way to "fix" the problem without hurting the animal. I received a tip from somebody I unfortunately I can't remember. He told me to spray Jalapeno juice on all my plants. So I made the juice and sprayed all of my newly purchased plants as I planted them. it worked like a charm and there were only a couple of leaves missing the next day.

All of my plants will be sprayed with Jalapeno juice this year, the day I plant them.
Back to top Go down
Garden Novice
Admin
Garden Novice

PostSubject: Re: Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden   Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 1:48 pm

It could have been aphids? I had the same issue last year with aphids and leaf miner bugs. The leaf miner bugs suck the juice out of the flowers and if a tomato does manage to form, they suck the juice out of it.

Aphids eat plants to nothing. I tried the jalapeno juice, but had so many in my raised bed soil I had to purchase Azomax. It kills them quick and so far, it seems to have settled the issue. My Kale was able to grow without issue...
Back to top Go down
http://www.awtj.org
Onetiggerroo
Admin
Onetiggerroo

PostSubject: Re: Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden   Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 1:58 pm

Try dish soap and water mixture. Bugs don't like a soap y mouth. It is proabably cut worms. They are green and can be hand removed, if your not squeamish. We used to feed them to the hens!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lordismyshepherd.forumsmotion.com
sisdrac41

sisdrac41

PostSubject: Re: Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden   Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 2:05 pm

It was an animal, there were little footprints everywhere. We think marmots but aren't sure. We have an acre and there are small holes everywhere. So there are critters everywhere. We also get deer in our back yard.
Back to top Go down
Onetiggerroo
Admin
Onetiggerroo

PostSubject: Re: Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden   Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 2:08 pm

Could be moles and or/rats and mice then. Try a solution of lemon dish detergent and lemon ammonia, mixed in equal parts, attach to your water hose, and spray the area. This will kill grubs, that they feed on, and deter them from the tomatoes. They also don't like the soapy taste! The ammonia will feed your plants, nitrogen, and the lemon in both the dish soap and ammonia help keep mosquito's down!
Back to top Go down
Katydid

Katydid

PostSubject: Re: Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden   Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 6:03 pm

I don't have a problem with SMALL varmints.....I've got a problem with the big ones. The first year we were here we had raised beds and we put a 7 foot fence around the garden. The deer jumped it twice. Last year we put netting around the beds individually. They were about 3 feet in height, well, the boys when they got their horns in late summer realized that the netting was easy to rip through so they got into a few....ate 24 cauliflowers and a dozen broccoli. This year we're going with chicken wire. Not as nice to look at but at least I'll have a few things to eat out of my garden.....

I've used wood ash from my wood stove to keep away cut worms.
Back to top Go down
Onetiggerroo
Admin
Onetiggerroo

PostSubject: Re: Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden   Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 7:12 pm

We used rabbit wire around our hen house to keep the wild birds out. Hope the chicken wire works. I'd still spray with soapy water. Deer probably don't like soap in the mouth. Let us know what works.

Adding this link in. It has some helpful hints to help with the deer problem, and a list of plants link at the bottom of the page. The other link is for plants deer don't like to eat.

Last edited by Onetiggerroo on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Garden Novice
Admin
Garden Novice

PostSubject: Re: Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden   Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 7:18 pm

Katydid wrote:
I don't have a problem with SMALL varmints.....I've got a problem with the big ones. The first year we were here we had raised beds and we put a 7 foot fence around the garden. The deer jumped it twice. Last year we put netting around the beds individually. They were about 3 feet in height, well, the boys when they got their horns in late summer realized that the netting was easy to rip through so they got into a few....ate 24 cauliflowers and a dozen broccoli. This year we're going with chicken wire. Not as nice to look at but at least I'll have a few things to eat out of my garden.....

I've used wood ash from my wood stove to keep away cut worms.
Those are some determined deer.....or hungry ones.... Surprised

I have a couple wild rabbits, they don't eat much, but my mother who lives next door, feeds everything, so much doesn't get past her yard hungry.

Though this year we are having time with field mice. This year is the most we've seen thus far.
Back to top Go down
http://www.awtj.org
Katydid

Katydid

PostSubject: Re: Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden   Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:41 am

It barely get to freezing here so they're not super hungry...just think that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.... Rolling Eyes lol!

So far all I've seen are a few voles....you know the ones that cat leaves as presents....ick
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden   Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden Empty

Back to top Go down

Natural way to keep critters from eating your garden
Page 1 of 1