Dig The Dirt
Join Today, It's Free!
Dig The Dirt
Join Today, It's Free!
Dig The Dirt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Down home folks who have a passion to grow their own food!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Help us become a successful garden community ~ SHARE our Forum Address ~ Invite Your Garden Friends~ THANK YOU!

Hello from the Hills of Georgia

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dollystormy

Hello from the Hills of Georgia Empty
PostSubject: Hello from the Hills of Georgia   Hello from the Hills of Georgia EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 9:07 am

You've got the right idea with this website. I'm not on a lot, but will participate when I can.

I live in the mountains of north GA where God gave meaning to the word beauty. There's just the two of us, me and my hubby, and both of us are retired from professional careers. He was born not too far from where we live and there's nothing in the world he enjoys more than playing in the dirt. His passion is growing things, which is sometimes very difficult in this red clay with rocks. I get the best part of the deal, though. I get to play with the results of his passion. There's nothing that beats fresh organic vegetables!! We eat as close to the earth as we can.

I can, freeze, dehydrate and use fresh all the goodies he grows. Now I'm laughing because we probably have enough put up to keep us for years, yet he continues to plant and harvest, and I continue to put it away. Yes, I give a lot of my canned goodies to friends and when he sees I am overwhelmed by his harvest, he gives some of the fresh veggies away as well.

This year is going to be a challenge since I was diagnosed with breast cancer late in December. Surgery's been completed, but treatment won't start until the 18th of February and will last for months. I don't know yet how this is going to impact my food storage plans, but I would think it's going to be reduced quite a bit this year, if not totally eliminated. We'll see how that goes when the time arrives.

Anyway, good luck with the site....you've got a great idea and I applaud you for getting it going!

Carol sunny
Back to top Go down
Garden Novice
Admin
Garden Novice

PostSubject: Re: Hello from the Hills of Georgia   Hello from the Hills of Georgia EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 10:56 am

dollystormy wrote:
You've got the right idea with this website. I'm not on a lot, but will participate when I can.

I live in the mountains of north GA where God gave meaning to the word beauty. There's just the two of us, me and my hubby, and both of us are retired from professional careers. He was born not too far from where we live and there's nothing in the world he enjoys more than playing in the dirt. His passion is growing things, which is sometimes very difficult in this red clay with rocks. I get the best part of the deal, though. I get to play with the results of his passion. There's nothing that beats fresh organic vegetables!! We eat as close to the earth as we can.

I can, freeze, dehydrate and use fresh all the goodies he grows. Now I'm laughing because we probably have enough put up to keep us for years, yet he continues to plant and harvest, and I continue to put it away. Yes, I give a lot of my canned goodies to friends and when he sees I am overwhelmed by his harvest, he gives some of the fresh veggies away as well.

This year is going to be a challenge since I was diagnosed with breast cancer late in December. Surgery's been completed, but treatment won't start until the 18th of February and will last for months. I don't know yet how this is going to impact my food storage plans, but I would think it's going to be reduced quite a bit this year, if not totally eliminated. We'll see how that goes when the time arrives.

Anyway, good luck with the site....you've got a great idea and I applaud you for getting it going!

Carol sunny
Hello dollystorm, glad to have ya here! Thank you and I everything you share with us, is certainly appreciated.

I agree, I am a newbie when it comes to gardening, so I am still learning, even though I am in my second year. I had a better Fall garden than a Spring garden, due to the leaf miner bugs ruining just about everything. So this Spring I am prepared, or at least I hope I am...

I can't wait to hear some of the tips on how you store your garden goodies! I haven't started storing mine yet....I hope to start next year, or maybe this Summer if my blackberry bush produces it first crop this year. Starting out with Jam I think is best for newbies, or at least for me.

Make sure to read the contest, it starts soon...
Back to top Go down
http://www.awtj.org
Onetiggerroo
Admin
Onetiggerroo

PostSubject: Re: Hello from the Hills of Georgia   Hello from the Hills of Georgia EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 2:19 pm

Welcome to our little corner of the garden! We are so glad your here! My hubby and I have had a huge garden for years, and well, we fed our neighbors and friends and so many others from it. It is one of the joys that we both enjoy! I do some canning, but not a lot. I prefer to freeze and to dehydrate. I'm looking forward to sharing and getting new idea's about gardening.

As for the cancer, I will be praying for your COMPLETE HEALING. I believe in the power of prayer, and have seen many miracles in my lifetime. Please try to avoid sugar, as much as possible. Cancer, like all your cells, will accelerate on sugar. By stopping the sugar intake, you can kill off the cancer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lordismyshepherd.forumsmotion.com
crhinehart

PostSubject: Re: Hello from the Hills of Georgia   Hello from the Hills of Georgia EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 12:41 am

Hey, what part of North Georgia? I too am from North Georgia (habersham county)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from the Hills of Georgia   Hello from the Hills of Georgia Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from the Hills of Georgia
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dig The Dirt :: Introduce Yourself :: Welcome-
Jump to: